Jericho Warming Hut - Week 15 & 16 Progress Report

November 1, 2011

Pictures by Roger Richard and Larry Gomes
Story by Larry Gomes

With trail work taking priority over the past few weeks, we only had a small crew working at the warming hut over the past two weekends.   On Saturday October 22nd, Roger Richard and Ray Borbeau worked to finish installing the ceiling boards around the new wood stove stack and up to the peak.

On Saturday, October 29th, Roger worked on his own to finish the interior trim around the front peak windows and door and he built a wire chase next to the electrical cabinet.  This completed all of the woodworking needed to finish off the interior of the cabin.  All that remains now is some clear coat work, some 12-volt electrical work and installation of the video surveillance system.

With a Halloween snowstorm predicted for October 29th and 30th, the crew decided to clean up the worksite and remove all of the equipment that had been stored up there all summer.  On Saturday afternoon, John Higgins and Larry joined Roger at the warming hut and loaded up Roger's snowmobile trailer with staging, tools and spare lumber for the trip down to the clubhouse. 

It was 20 weeks to the day the we had first brought Roger's trailer to the worksite to act as a temporary storage locker.  I don't think anyone thought it would be there as long as it was.  We had originally expected the project to be done in September, but that's the first rule of construction:  "It always takes longer than you thought it would". 

Luckily we did not break the second rule of construction which is: "It always cost more than you planned".  For this project, it came in right in on the original budget.

Roger and Ray did a great job finishing the installation of the tongue and groove
ceiling boards.  It was tricky fitting them around the lights and the stove pipe,
but as usual, they were up to the task.  They also stuffed insulation in all the remaining
openings throughout the cabin.

Fake log boards were fit in between the upper windows to continue the log look up to the peak.
Then window moldings were installed to provide a nice clean look around the window and up
against the ceiling boards.  If you look closely, you will notice that Roger lined up the tongue
and groove boards inside the cabin with the porch ceiling boards so it looks like the ceiling boards
run in one continuous piece from the cabin ceiling to the porch ceiling.  Great attention to detail!

Close up of the moldings around the door.  See the wires hanging on the right side
above the electrical cabinet?  You won't see them for long...

 ...Because Roger built this really nice chase to hide those ugly wires.  We wanted to have the ability to
run new wire in the future and the chase gives us access to the ceiling, the floor and to the outside eaves.

 Here is another picture of the chase showing that it goes from the floor to the ceiling
which allows wires to be run from either direction into the electrical cabinet.

 This picture shows the entire front wall of the cabin.  The new trim just needs a couple
of coats of clear sealer to match the logs and ceiling boards. 
It sure is great to have all the wood work done!

So with the project winding down, we need to get some volunteers to cut wood to fill up the wood box for the winter.  There is a big pile of dead wood sitting 200' away so if you are planning to use the warming hut this winter, why not come up and fill the wood box next weekend?

You will be recognized along with other volunteers on a workers plaque that will be mounted in the hut forever.

Send email to if you can make it.

[WMRR Home]